Ahh. I get it now. Twitter - told me that there were some extra tickets on sale and led to me abandoning my relaxing afternoon in central park and hurtling down as fast as I could to the Webster Hall. Twitter made me realise that seeing 2 shows from the same tour did not make me an obsessive - no where near in fact (compared to the people seeing all 4 NYC shows in a row), so it's all ok and I don't have to keep quiet about this eve, and twitter just felt like an actual community of people all saying how bloody amazing tonight was and sharing being in awe of trent - especially when he joined in the fray to say how much fun he'd had (and how exhausted he was). The last few days I've been exploring twitter, and have felt that it will end up being as ubiquitous as facebook or mobiles, but I didn't really quite get it till tonight. Well thank you twitter - I just had an absolutely amazing evening. & I'm glad to know everyone else felt the same way.
But enough of that - it was the band that was incredible. I always meant to write about seeing NIN at the O2 - I had my whinge about the place living up to my bad expectations all in my head. Probably best that I never ended up going into that. The sound was incredible, the band as amazing as ever, but it somehow didn't quite hit the spot, and only because of the venue. Which is why I'm so glad I gave into slightly ridiculous spontaneity and saw them again tonight - in the Webster Hall - perfectly faded decadence, perfectly sized, fantastic venue. (just wikipedia-d it and realised its the first place dylan was recorded - elvis, madonna, prince - loads of people have played there. I like a venue with history.*) I was close to the front, (very reasonable crowd - there'd have been much more beer and aggro involved that close to the stage in the UK) and could completely let loose with the dancing. Everyone was sweating buckets, loving Trent and the band, most of all loving the music. The first part of the set was the whole (yes the whole) of Downward Spiral, start to finish. Incredible. Judging from what people are saying that may have been the only time they've done that.. Apparently the only time they've ever played A Warm Place live. I think this must be part of why so many people are saying its the best gig they've ever seen them play - and that includes people who have seem them over 30 times over 20 years. Only negative was that it meant Hurt probably came a bit early in the set - people weren't quite ready for it so kept shouting and being annoying. But Hurt was actually the highlight (and end song) of the O2 gig - somehow the grandeur of the size suited it and I think the whole audience was slightly overwhelmed and really got into the moment. So together, I've had the perfect NIN experience. Apart from that that leaves you wanting more and this is their last ever tour...
But that was exactly what I needed after a week of work and being by myself. I feel just that little bit more ready for Monday somehow. Nothing like a really good night out. And lots of dancing.
& ps, I also wanted to add that even before this gig I was softening to New York again after last night. The roller blading disco in central park with all its colourful characters boogieing away in the sunshine had already got me smiling about this city.
*'Built in 1886, the space on 11th St. first served as a home for benefit costume balls thrown by East Village bohemians, the most prominent of whom include anarchist philosopher Emma Goldman and dada pioneer Marcel Duchamp. These parties, some of the first artist balls, were described by The Masses socialist writer and editor Floyd Dell as "spontaneously joyous and deliberately beautiful, focusing in a mood of playfulness the passion for loveliness." Costumed guests partied into the night, fueled by alcohol and free of inhibitions.' From an article on how control of Webster Hall for once (for a music venue) has taken a good turn. Glad it's not a beer or a mobile phone. ugh. I gave the O2 a chance, but seriously, there's no comparison...
These aren't great pics so are mainly meant to show how close I was :) I can't stand people who hold up their camera phones through entire songs so I wasn't about to become one to get the right photo. (At the O2 I pretended all the lit up screens on the ground so far below me were a blanket of stars... much more atmospheric than lots of people intent on making videos rather than just enjoying what they're there to see)
I'm just relistening to some of the songs. Reptile - that was fantastic live. I'll stop now. Time to sleep. Soon as I can convince myself to stop listening to downward spiral...
1 comment:
Set list to make any fans jealous and for me to remember:
1. “Mr. Self Destruct”
2. “Piggy”
3. “Heresy”
4. “March of the Pigs”
5. “Closer”
6. “Ruiner”
7. “The Becoming”
8. “I Do Not Want This”
9. “Big Man with a Gun”
10. “A Warm Place”
11. “Eraser”
12. “Reptile”
13. “The Downward Spiral”
14. “Hurt”
15. “1,000,000″
16. “Terrible Lie”
17. “Metal”
18. “Lights In the Sky”
19. “Burn”
20. “Gave Up”
21. “Suck”
22. “Physical”
23. “The Hand That Feeds”
24. “Head Like A Hole”
Reading online reviews about this gig has made me even more grateful that I caught them doing such a small gig on their last tour, and with this set list, and all on the spur of the moment.
In momentary blips between the non-stop-eyest-o-the-screen working it all comes straight back into my head.
Scrap that, gigs this good you remember in your gut, not your head.
Post a Comment